Friday 29 May 2015

Colour Selection

I have been working on this post forever.. I still might not get it all done in one go.. The main reason is that I kept changing my mind a thousand times on my floor colours, tile colours, kitchen colours etc. So I will see how I go and see if I actually have accurate photos of our selections.

Since we have a house full of browns now (carpets, kitchens, vanities etc) We decided to change it up and go the full house of GREY this time. This turned out ok in the end but I was wishing I had just gone with browns again for so long.. why?? Because there is sooo much more to choose from in brown tones. Anyway I struggled through it and am very happy with my selections in the end. Couldn't have done it without my 2 good friends that I have met along my building journey.. You guys know who you are.

So here goes... Internals first....

Kitchen


This changed a million times... End result is the following...


Benchtop - 20mm Quantum Quartz - Luna White
Island cabinets, sides and back overhang cabinets - Polytec - Classic White Sheen
Bar back, back base cabinets - Polytec - Stone Grey Sheen
Overhead Cabinets - Polytec - Stone Grey Sheen no handles
Splashback - Linea Grey (Beaumont Tiles)

This is where I got my kitchen colour inspiration from...




Laundry




You have to excuse the colours in the photo... not really indicative on the real colours. My phone camera was playing up on me.

Floor tile - 400x400 Highway Charcoal (Beaumont Tiles)
Lower Cabinets - Polytec Cavia Lini Sheen - horizontally laid
Overhead Cabinets - Polytec Stone Grey Sheen no handles
Bench - Polytec - Snow Fabrini
Splashback - 300x100 Gloss White Stack bond (Beaumont Tiles)

Bathrooms



Floor Tile - 400x400 Highway Charcoal
Wall Tile - 200x400 Classic Carrara White (this has a grey marble look through it)
Feature Tile - 200x400 Euphoria Charcoal with charred ash grout
Cabinets - Cavia Lini Sheen - horizontally laid
Benchtop - Quantum Quartz - Luna White

A closer look at our cabinetry colours.. I won't bother putting up the sample picture of the Stone Grey as its not even remotely close to the actual colour.


Polytec Cavia Lini


Quantum Quartz Luna White

Carpets and Laminate

This has been one of the biggest dramas of all. We originally wanted Vinyl planks and would still be happy having that if we found some in the colours we wanted. We had originally chosen a lovely grey vinyl plank but then I decided we just had WAY too much grey. So wanted to go something more neutral. We finally settled on a lovely laminate called Parador Trendtime 6 Oak Castell Limed.  Originally we were going for a charcoal carpet also but decided to go for a lighter grey to blend better with the floorboards. We haven't 100% chosen our carpet yet but will be something similar to the following:


Paint

Taubmans Gemini Silver



p.s... this is not our toilet :)

External Colours

We would have loved to flow the greys from the outside in...but unfortunately our brick choices were extremely limited due to Clarendon dropping Austral bricks as their supplier. Therefore we could only choose from PGH. The standard bricks were limited and there was no greys. The only greys available were massive upgrades and even then not really what we were looking for.

During a few trips to Sydney for other matters I got the chance to drive around some new estates where double storey brick homes (many of the Clarendon) were everywhere. I noticed dark brown or black brick homes were extremely popular and looked very nice.  We had both a brown and a black brick available in the standard range.  We were worried the black would look a bit too dark so we opted for the lovely chocolate brown coloured brick.. PGH Breaking Dawn.



PGH Breaking Dawn (ignore the colorbond samples)

We were fortunate enough to see a Plantation Homes display home being built using exactly our bricks. 


We really like it with the white cladding.. however we had already chosen our cladding colour by this time.. which is Colorbond Dune.


This is also the colour we chose for our garage door.

Our gutters and facias are Colorbond Monument


Roof Tiles are Bristile Magnum in Traditional profile



Windows are Trend Anodic Natural Matt (basically silver)



This pretty much wraps up our colour selection.. Let me know if I have missed anything. Can't wait to see it all come together :)



18 comments:

  1. Hello, did you use full strength Taubmans Gemini Silver? Also, what colour did you use on skirting & doors?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi... I have no idea Melissa. It was whatever was standard.... The above pictures are not our house and ours might not be as dark.. Just gives an indication of colour. We kept with the standard matching colour for skirtings and doors, so they will also be Gemini silver but in gloss. Hope it looks ok. Wasn't keen to fork out $650 to have them painted a different colour :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. We have made exactly the same decision. :) I'm hoping it turns out lovely. Can't wait to see your finished product, Mel.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi, I was wondering if you have a photo of your Gemini silver walls, skirting & doors??

    Thanks! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Clarendon painted our house the wrong colour..winter ice. We didn't bother getting them to change it. So no unfortunately I don't. I know that a few people on the Clarendon thread of homeone used it though and there are some photos there :-) I have heard mixed reviews on the colour... Some love it some hate it! Good luck :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yeah, i've noticed some people love it and some hate it. are you happy with winter ice? colours are complicated! :)

      Delete
    2. The winter ice is lovely as we used grey (dulux silkwort) as feature walls along side it and also some lovely bright colours in the kids rooms. It's really just an off white... However..
      I won't be using it again.. I have 3 boys and boys and white don't mix.. I just can't get the walls clean especially in the stairwell..so much for it being wash and wear paint

      Delete
    3. I'll put some photos up a bit later today of winter ice for you to see blah.
      I never did get to finish this blog haha

      Delete
    4. ahh yes, white can be tricky!!
      That would be great! would love to see it.

      Delete
  6. Oh no Jenny :( I hope the colour is still beautiful. We really love ours. I was so worried it would be too dark, but it's just perfect. We had some professional photos done of our family in an in home shoot. I'm happy to send through some of those photos which will show you what it looks like in our home? I can't seem to work out how to do it on here.. You could send me your email Blah?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. that would be great Melissa!! :) what colour did you do the doors and skirting alongside the Gemini silver?

      my email is xloreleex@gmail.com
      Thank you!! :)

      Delete
    2. Well funny enough our new house is about to go on the market and we will be building again shortly with Clarendon. So would also love seeing the photos of Gemini silver again as I have to go through the whole process again very soon haha. I have also seen marble mist on a house in real life and it's lovely.. It's also very grey.

      Delete
    3. ohh no way! haha cool!! hopefully it's mainly smooth sailing!! =)

      Delete
    4. Hey Melissa and Jenny,

      I am building with eden brae and confused between Gemini silver and winter Ice.Could you please share few pics of ur house,so that I can compare.

      My mail I'd - priyalprakash9@gmail.com

      Thanks in advance

      Delete
  7. Would love to see them also. Email is jeric1981@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Jenny,

    Did you have any photos of your laminate flooring? We have our colour appointment in a few weeks and that is the exact colour we want to go for :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi there. We are building with Clarendon and can't decide between winter ice and Gemini silver.. our house is cool toned and winter ice can look cream at times. We just want a cool off white/ light light grey but have heard Gemini silver can look blue 😳 Would really appreciate any photos if you don't mind... my email is tartar1306@gmail.com. Thanks sooo much!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for the wonderfully written article, we are also confused between Winter Ice and marble mist. Can you please share some photos from your house wall. My mail id is ravi.gauttom@gmail.com. What door color did you go with?

    ReplyDelete